Friday, June 19, 2009

Great Recipes for saving money

Recently I have discovered (from Grocery Cart Challenge- on the sidebar) that really, if there is something I need to have, I can probably make it. For those of you who know, me, you know that I already kind of knew that, but only for things like cute hats and shoes and blankets, etc. You know, craft stuff! Well, I have found a whole new set of "I'm not paying that much, I can make it for half that" items! Cleaners!



Anyway, here are some great recipes I have found. I just made the All Purpose Cleaner yesterday, and I LOVE it. It cleans better than my Lysol Kitchen cleaner (which I was very skeptical because I was very addicted to my Lysol).

All Purpose Cleaner

16 oz. Spray Bottle
1 tsp. Borax
1/8 C. Mild liquid dish soap (such as Palmolive)
2 Tbls. Distilled White vinegar
Water (if you have hard water, use distilled or purified water)

*Mix vinegar, borax and 1 C. Hot water until dissolved. Let cool and pour into 16oz. spray bottle. Fill bottle with cool water, allow room for dish soap. Add dish soap and gently stir or shake to mix.



Tooth Whitener

1 tsp Baking Soda
1 capfull Hydrogen Peroxide

*Stir together and wet your toothbrush with the solution. Brush as normal and rinse. (You may want to try and avoid your tongue and back of mouth since the taste isn't great, and also brush with minty paste after for the taste and smell.)


No-More Tangles Leave in Conditioner

1/4 C. Hair Conditioner (any cheap bottle will work)
3/4 C. water
16oz. Spray bottle (I use an old leave-in bottle)

*Mix well and spray liberally over hair before drying.
Febreeze Linen Spray

1 tsp Essential Oil
1/4 C. Witch Hazel
3 1/2 C. Water
28 oz. Spray Bottle

*Pour all ingredients into a 28oz. spray bottle and shake well.


Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or 1/2 bar Zote bar soap
1/2 C. Borax
1/2 C Washing Soda
Water
2.5 Gallon Bucket
Essential Oils to your liking

*Grate soap and put in saucepan with 6 C. warm water (I use my food processor to grate the soap). Heat and stir until melted. Add Borax and Washing Soda and stir until dissolved. Pour 4 C. HOT water into bucket and add soap mixture. Add 22 C. water and stir. Add essentials if desired, I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 0.25 oz bottles. Let sit for 24 hrs. Should be a gelatin form. If you use Zote, you should be able to stir it up with a wooden spoon and it will be more like the consistency of regular soap.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. I used Ivory the first time and it didn't work, but I LOVE the ZOTE, and it is only like $.88 for a bar.

    ReplyDelete